Tuesday, December 26, 2017

MOVING ON INTO 2018 "Joyful Mojo" Abstract Painting by Elizabeth Chapman


Joyful Mojo
Acrylic on 22" x 30" paper
Unframed, $275

Includes Free Shipping to continental US.

Available

To purchase contact me: elizabethchapmanart@gmail.com

Website: HERE


Here I sit the day after Christmas and I'm ordering supplies for the forthcoming year!  Personally, I love this time of year for it's celebrations with family and friends. I'm not especially fond of the cold weather, but winter seems to bring with it a time of slowing down, quietness, peacefulness and rest. With a new year comes a time of reflecting, hopefully with a heart full of thanksgiving for the passing year and a renewing of hope for the forthcoming year.

Business wise this seems to be the time of year that really inspires me. It's a time as I'm doing today of ordering supplies and the setting of goals that seem to inspire me for the new year.  So here are a few of those new ideas mixed with a few resolutions to do a better job with what I'm already doing.

SUPER charged with a new challenge that I have created for myself. If your another artist feel to join me. Perhaps your an art lover, well I hope your interest will be pricked and you will follow along.

2018 COLOR STORY PROJECT

There are twelve colors in a color wheel and there twelve months to each year. For each month one color will be chosen to be used as the dominant color in all the paintings done for that month.  So, for example if we begin with yellow....then MOSTLY yellow with some and bits of other colors. Black/White/Grey can be used as well.  I like mixing my own grey from the colors I'm using plus white.

Beginning in January I will be posting these new paintings.

Which brings me to my next goal. POSTING HERE.  I begin blogging back in 2008/09 back when it was the thing. It's kinda fun and a bit embarrassing to go back to read those post. I hope to pick that up again telling and sharing more studio news.  I am beginning by making a list of blogging topics.

STUDIO ORGANIZING is another goal of mine (which is really more of  one that I haven't gotten done from 2017) of expanding my studio space.  I love working out of our home in that I am able to take a break from painting or the computer to go do dishes, throw a load in the washer, mop the floor, prepare a meal or you know,  name it, any of those home need to do's.  I have a room in the basement where I have my easel, table, paints, canvases, etc.,  As it began feeling crammed I began dreaming and planning for more space!  This last year I managed to have a storage bin built to store paintings and they were moved into the adjoining area of the basement. (husband's music room) The office area has also been moved out there. My goal is to move our large kitchen table(as empty nester's we don't need this)  to the basement to be used for packaging and that way we are not having to drag sheets of cardboard/supplies upstairs each time a painting is sold. There will also be a wall for photographing paintings and just more studio space in general. The room that I am in will remain as the messy painting room.


WRITING from 2017 I discovered another creative outlet that I enjoyed and that is writing.  My daughters, Elsie and Emma  of abeautifulmess.com had over the years been asked as to how they were raised to be creatives.  It was a topic that they approached me with and so I set out to reflect, think and write in response to that question.  I wrote a post for their blog, "Raising Creativity: Lessons from Mary Poppins" which can be read HERE. The writing process was interesting in that I found I basically approached it in much the same way as I approach creating a painting. I never had thought of myself as a writer, before this. SO, not that I'm making this a goal but it is laying their in the back of mind as a possible book to be written.


MARKETING..ugh.  I know, as artists we really don't want to deal with this one. Personally, I believe gone are the days of being able to depend and have someone else sell your work. I'm not a salesperson by nature, BUT I have had to learn how to market. I don't know that I will ever feel comfortable with putting myself out there, but if not me then who.  I've been working at this for ten years and have learned so, so much.  However, it has always been and continues to be a competitive and ever changing market. You can't really ever stop researching and learning new methods.  Sometimes, it's just like creating, inspiration or 'just a spoon full of sugar'  is just what is needed.  For this I have purchased a new book, "I'ld Rather Be In The Studio" by Alyson B. Stanfield.  It's only been ordered, but just this first step has stirred a renewed interest in learning more about marketing.


Ok enough with the goals.  Honestly, I'm really not a goal, list type of person (not saying that's a bad thing) more intuitive in which one thing leads to the next idea and so on.  But, sitting down now and then to reflect and think about what it is you would like to accomplish helps me to have an outline, so to speak to work ideas from.  I have found this is the time of year when I am more likely to do this. 


I am SO very thankful for the support I have received over the years that has allowed me to continue to create, working and using what I believe is a God given talent to hopefully visually encourage, uplift and bring hope to others through my art. 

...from the bottom of my heart

THANK YOU. 


"It brings me much joy just to be the brush in the Master Painter's hand and to realize that His creations are made to bring great joy to all.  My paintings are a form of song, dance and praise in response to the beauty of life.   -Elizabeth







1 comment:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Thanks for sharing!! I wish you all the best in 2018!!